If you are a mechanical engineer and looking for an opportunity to grow, Thayer Scale has an opening for you! Based in our Pembroke, MA location, you will identify and implement solutions to meet design requirements and quality expectations for our weighing and process control technology products in markets ranging from food production to bulk material handling. This critical role works across multiple functions to ensure product designs meet the targets for quality, cost, and cycle time.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will:
- Act as the subject matter expert for equipment designs and maintain these designs for configuration, design for manufacturing and assembly processes, cost control requirements.
- Drive product standardization of equipment designs to facilitate order flow from customer directly to manufacturing.
- Process and maintain equipment designs for customer order projects by evaluating equipment specifications and sizing for proposed applications.
- Interface with sales, service, production, supply chain, and customers to process, design, and layout customer orders according to project requirements.
- Create detail and production drawings on custom designed equipment and apply GD&T practices to ensure component and equipment quality standards.
- Ensure that all designs are fully documented with detailed component specifications and approved manufacturers lists (AML).
- Execute Engineering Change Orders (ECOs).
- Create, upload, and maintain Bills of Material (BOMs) in ERP system and distribute to production as part of the engineering release process.
- Provide project management and coordination of design activities to meet quality, delivery and cost targets as needed.
- Drive Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DMA) by participating and driving LEAN manufacturing initiatives in the engineering department.
- Work with the production teams to create and perform QA inspections and test procedures on equipment.
- Participate with supply chain in supplier qualifications/audits and interface with them on quality performance.
- Produce project documentation, engineering reports, including test and design verification reports, test procedures, design specifications, verification reports, technical and user manuals.
- Enjoy supporting team members in a dynamic, independent, and fluid environment to complete multiple projects on time and under budget.
- Have an open communication style to share information across functions.
- Provide mechanical support to the sales, service, and production teams.
- Review quality, equipment specifications, and final test data before authorizing shipment.
- Develop and/or maintain metrics to support the above initiatives.
Other Job Requirements:
- <10% Travel to customer sites on an as needed basis
Education, Experience and Skill Requirements:
- BSME, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent from an ABET accredited program.
- Fluency in English required.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD & Inventor or equivalent.
- Five (5) years of experience designing industrial capital equipment.
- Demonstrated past history of project management.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and how cost impacts the overall business.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
- Enhanced PC knowledge and skill sets of utilizing Microsoft Office.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work in teams.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to work across multiple countries, cultures, time zones and departments.
- Knowledge of Lean manufacturing.
- This position requires technical expertise, leadership, strong interpersonal skills, and the initiative to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong time management skills with an ability to manage several tasks and achieve deadlines in a timely manner.
About Thayer Scale:
Thayer Scale – Hyer Industries is a privately held manufacturing & technology company, specializing in the manufacturing of equipment used for the continuous weighing and feeding of bulk materials for a wide variety of industries. The company has one of the longest uninterrupted operating records for engineering and manufacturing specialized continuous weighing and feeding equipment in the United States. Founded in 1949 in a garage in Rockland, Massachusetts and relocated shortly thereafter to the neighboring town of Pembroke on the south shore of Massachusetts, the company has maintained its original business philosophy, product line specialization, and operating structure for more than a half century. Employee turn-over has consistently been very low permitting the company to develop a highly experienced workforce in each functional area of the business. This high degree of stability, continuity of leadership and laser-sharp product focus has been fundamental to the continued technical advancement of our uniquely designed conveyor belt scales and gravimetric feeders. It has allowed the company to grow from its early roots to its position today as one of the global leaders in the continuous weighing industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer with an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, std, ltd, life insurance and 401K with company match.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org